Monday, September 22, 2008

Being Sick and Surviving It Without Medication

So, over this last weekend I got sick. And I don't mean the typical sniffles and a little cough. I mean the cannot breath through your nose at all and deep painful cough kind of sick.
Because of my current medications I can't take the typical, TheraFlu, NyQuil, and other OTC cold meds.

So this time around I had to find different ways to deal with it.
I had a lot of help from my friends, and I wanted to share the different things I did that allowed me to survive the weekend and actually make it work today.

First and foremost when you first show signs of a cold take zinc. I, of course, didn't actually get to do that because I woke up with a full blown head cold! But my friend Ester, THE local shopper herself, swears by it.

Now for the sinus and yuckiness, my stepmom suggested to use saline nasal spray. (she's doing rotations to be a doctor, so I listened) :) She said to use that a couple times a day and it should break everything up and help to clear it up. It also helps if you have that really dry nose thing going, too. And one thing I really didn't think about was, blowing your nose. Now I know this might sound like common sense to most of you, but I never really made it a practice to do that. I just kind of suffered with a stuffy nose. But it helps by first of all getting the bad stuff out and of course by clearing up your nose.

Another really helpful thing was Vicks Vapor Rub, or any other menthol type rub. Now understanding that I am not a doctor, nor do I claim to be, this stuff was like a miracle. It seemed to help break up the stuff in my chest too.

Oh and a key item, soft tissues. If you are blowing your nose a lot its good to have them so as to keep the skin intact on your face.

Well, I hope this help someone out there. Flu season is on its way. If anyone has any suggestions about any other secret remedies I am definitely open to them.

Your Local Shopper

Jenn
www.localshops1.com

No comments: