Thursday, January 22, 2009

The rumors were true: I AM cheap

Yes, I’ve complained long and hard to anyone that will listen about our down-spiraling economy. (You guys are my favorite captive audience.)
But I do more than just toil in gloom and doom every time I see a depressing news report. Like a lot of the rest of us, I’ve had to trim the fat a bit and find some ways to squeeze a few extra dollars out of the household budget. And since I share my “glum” outlook with you, I wanted to share some of my miserly tips as well.

Bring your lunch to work. I never realized how much money I spent eating on the run, or ordering out until I finally sat down to crunch the numbers: Around $10 per day, four days per week. That’s $160 per month, or $1,920 per year. Compare that to planning ahead and bringing leftovers and some snacks. Savings around $900 yearly.

Have your shoes repaired. This one I stole from Bay News 9 (thank you, Ferdinand Zogbaum!). Instead of shelling out $180 for new EMS boots for work, I had a local shoe cobbler put new soles on my old ones. Cost me under $20. Saved $160.

Carpool. Even though gas prices have gone WAY down, I see them creeping back up again. Hopefully we won’t see $4 per gallon anymore, but just in case, I still carpool whenever possible. So instead of spending almost $40 per week on gas, I now spend that about every two weeks. Savings: $960 yearly.


Coupons. Don’t laugh. Here’s the secret to not getting overwhelmed with it: Only cut the coupons for the things you buy, instead of buying something just because you have a coupon. It really is like free money. And if you can time it just right and hit the supermarket sales, well, you’re golden. I save nearly $15 weekly with coupons. That means about $720 yearly shaved off my expenses.

Stay in. Instead of going out with friends, have them over for dinner and drinks. Cooking at home is always cheaper (especially when it comes to the bar tab), and I think, more intimate. Candles and Dollar Store party favors and such.


Hopefully we all won’t have to keep tightening up the belts another notch for very long! I hate to utter this, but this financial crisis we’re in has made me cheap. There. I said it. And now that it’s out there, if anyone has any other tips for me I’d really welcome them. Happy hunting, everyone!

1 comment:

LocalShops1.com said...

Great tips, Leah!
Here's another one: cut back on vending machine purchases. For us, bottle of diet Coke is $1.25. Two a day, five days a week, adds up to $12.50/week ... or $650/year.
Bringing home-brewed iced tea in a cooler will cost a tiny fraction of that.