Wednesday, October 1, 2008

September contest

Last month we asked you to tell us about your favorite vacation souvenir. And many of you did! We could pick only one winner, but loved quite a few of the entries, so we're posting some of our favorites here.

Can you tell which one we picked?

You can find out, of course, on localshops1.com
While there, check out October's contest!

Now, for our favorite entries from some of our favorite local shopper members ....

Kristel Bilgen

My favorite vacation souvenir is an umbrella. This isn’t just any umbrella though, it’s from London, England and it has a map of the tube (their subway) system on it. Not only is it cool and unique, but it’s also practical. Since London is a rainy city what better thing to spend your money on than an umbrella and you will never get lost in this rainy city with a map of the tube! I’ve used the umbrella numerous times and each time I’ve been asked what city it is. It’s a great conversational piece!



Geoff Buchanan

Not another stinking tee shirt!

Having grown up in the Smokey Mountains, it's hard for me to be impressed with sights. Then my wife and I went on our honeymoon to Kauai. I was shocked with each day's adventures in paradise. As I was laying on the beach I looked to my left and saw a two thousand foot waterfall, straight ahead a glass top bay. To my right, four-foot breakers crashed on the reef that protected the bay and protected me from
Great Whites! I realized that I was TRULY in paradise. When I see my Hanalei Bay tee shirt, it does what souvenirs are supposed to do--take me back in time.



Lena Hunt

Being a photojournalist, I get to do some serious traveling. This has allowed me to acquire lots of souvenirs. It should be difficult to pick a favorite but it isn't. I went to the famous Crater of Diamonds, the world's ONLY public diamond mine where you can keep what you find. I didn't find a bling but what I found was my most treasured gem: Shirley Strawn-Wagner who fought to keep the mine public. If only I could fit the world's only-flawless-rated-diamond finder into a jewlery bag. Her continued friendship is my most favorite souvenir.




Elizabeth Brackman

The chartreuse bag summoned me upon entering the tiny gift shop at Westwind Inn, Sanibel Island. Two rope style straps create a perfect circle across the top of the bag, cowrie shells zigzag across one side, and glaring green canvas is decorated with brown Tiki gods who refuse denial. Yet I ignored their call all weekend, despite six visits to the little shop to admire them. Repenting my foolishness of ignoring their demand for the paltry sum of $12, I relented the last vacation day, and now the Tiki gods tote for me each day.



Catherine Culbertson

Easily the best souvenir I've ever returned home with was one I didn't actually buy. Several years ago, I was in Key West for a friend's wedding. Despite the fact the festivities were to occur at the break of dawn the following day, the bridal party and I hit Duval Street while the bride slumbered peacefully. Little did she know we were
getting ourselves into trouble and working our way towards some powerful headaches.
Did I mention Key West has Frozen alcoholic slushies for $4 on almost every block?
They call the walk home the "Duval Crawl" for a reason. Severely inebriated and less a few members of the gang, we headed home--slowly. Along the way we came across Duval Street's famous roving Elvis. Why was there a 6'2 Elvis in Key West? Many have asked, and few know the answer.
Regardless, he knelt down on his knee directly in front of me, broke into a serenade, and finally produced a small plastic ring. I was perplexed.
Everyone loves Elvis. Everyone loves tall men. Everyone loves plastic rings--but what in the hell was Key West Elvis doing?
My brain, befuddled by alcohol, had no idea until the legendary songbird uttered simply, "Will you marry me?"
"Yes," I replied as he picked me up and swung me around. Once he returned my feet to the ground, he placed the ring on my finger and abruptly walked away. I haven't seen him since, but have received reports that there is still a man in Key West dedicated to love -- the love of many, many drunken tourists.
So far, it's been the best relationship I've ever had, and that ring is easily the most amazing souvenir I have ever gotten.

No comments: