Sunday, September 14, 2008

Frugal shopping: second-hand stores

Now I know that it is hard to walk into a second-hand clothing store for the first time, but if you choose the right one, chances are you will be hooked. In the beginning I would never even think of going to one of these stores. But my sister dragged me into one a few years back and I was hooked.

I found a brand new pair of Sketchers for just $10. There can be some of these stores that are kind of scary, but take a look around your neighborhood. I am sure there are at least a couple that are clean and nice. For some help on that you can check out www.localshops1.com for some good stores. There are some things you should do when going to a second-hand store. Here is a list of helpful hints:

#1 Set a budget. As always with any type of shopping, you should set a budget before you leave the house. With these types of stores it's hard to figure out a budget at first, but you will find your footing quickly.

#2 Try things on. You should do this anytime you are clothes shopping, but in these cases it is a wise choice. The clothes you are looking at have many different manufacturers and they all have a different cut. (plus it is great exercise)

#3 Look the item over very closely. Sometimes a stain or hole will slip through the cracks and there is nothing worse then getting home and finding a hole in the shirt you couldn't wait to wear.

#4 Great place to find accessories. I am always amazed at the awesome jewelry I find in these stores. And as for shoes, well I already told you about that. And I have found that they usually have a great selection of purses.

#5 Don't buy it if you wont wear it. Now this may sound like common sense, but sometimes you will find this beautiful shirt for only $5. And it is hard to resist since it is so cheap, but really think about whether you will wear it or not.

These are just a few suggestions, but the most important one is this one ... WASH THE CLOTHES BEFORE WEARING THEM. And preferably as soon as you get home, especially if you have any kind of allergies. The stores might not wash them, so please be sure that you do. Hope this will help some of you bargain shoppers out there.

Your Local Shopper,

Jenn

3 comments:

LocalShops1.com said...

One of the best ways to find nice second-hand stores is to ask your friends .. so, we're asking you.

We're always looking to add cool new shops on our web site. So if you have any favorites you don't see there, please let us know.

It's free to get listed, of course, because we want www.localshops1.com to be as comprehensive as possible.

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I am not averse to shopping for secondhand stuff but I will never shop for secondhand clothes. The thought of someone else having worn what I am wearing sort of makes me queasy.

LocalShops1.com said...

Yeah, i can totally see that. But sometimes secondhand stores have clothes that don't seem like they have even been worn before. I've really been surprised at some of the things I've found.

Maybe it's just really good dry-cleaning?