Friday, September 12, 2008

How to avoid giving bad gifts

I was browsing around online and I came across this really helpful list. I know when I have a gift to buy someone, and I am not quite sure what to get, I usually fall into one these following categories. I found a list of 10 items on couponing.about.com, but I am just going to list my favorite five. This is a list of what NOT to get:

#1 Worthless Gadgets... Now we all know what these are. We have seen them, bought them, and have given them as gifts. Although you might have someone that is very hard to buy for, please try to avoid that latest new "thing" that everyone must have.

#2 Gifts with a Message... The one that comes to mind is that really funny t-shirt you saw that reminded you of someone you know. Chances are pretty high that they will act appreciative when they get it, but in the end it may just end up at the bottom of some drawer that they never go in.

#3 Artwork... Although this might seem like a really thoughtful and probably expensive gift, try to refrain. Art is usually very personal and there is no telling if they will like it or not.

#4 Themed Undergarments... I have done this myself. Especially at Christmas time you will see all kinds of cute little boxers and similar things and the urge to buy them is so strong. But once again, try to stop yourself and think of where they could wear them. Especially holiday related ones are only good for a few weeks, at the most, out of the year.

#5 A Framed Picture of Yourself... When I read this one I had to laugh out loud. Let me quote couponing.about.com since they put it so perfectly "Loving yourself is important, but sending framed pictures of yourself is an odd gift." I couldn't have said it any better.

Well, I hope these shopping guidelines will help some of you. I know the holiday season is some time off, but it never hurts to get a head start. And of course, if you are looking for some local stores please check out www.localshops1.com.

Your Local Shopper,

Jenn

1 comment:

LocalShops1.com said...

and another: don't give chocolate to someone who you know is trying to stick to a low-cal diet. ... too much temptation!
but if they're not, chocolate's usually most welcome :)